February 1, 2014

Mama, Hold Me

"Mama, hold me." - My 2YO son

Of course, how can you say "no" to that, especially when you have a child as sweet and loving as mine. Confession: I rock my son to sleep. Every. Single. Night. Well, sometimes his dad does, or when he stays at nana/papa's or mawmaw/pawpaw's. But mostly, it's mama. And I wouldn't change it for ANYTHING. I have read every parenting blog, magazine, and book and at 6 months old, they all recommend teaching your child to put themselves to sleep. Why would I want to do that?

I am sick of the criticism I receive from other people who are, for one, NOT parents. Telling me that what I should and shouldn't do with MY child. 

My son goes, non-stop, from morning until night - maybe a small nap. Occasionally he stops and wants to cuddle while we watch TV or play on the nabi or my iPad. But it is short lived and he continues to run about and play with his toys. Ignoring mommy. My little boy used to LOVE to cuddle. That was before he had his own room and all the toys a two year old could ask for. 

Nighttime is MY time with him. We rock, read stories, and sing songs. This is my absolute favorite time of day. When he is ready, he will put himself to bed. Until then, I will continue to rock him. Every night I possibly can. One day, he won't want held, and I will miss it. 

So, if you have small children and you're contemplating sleep training. Here is my parenting advice... ROCK your babies while you can. :)